installing new cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I`m new to this forum so apologies if this question has come up recently.

We have an out-building and want to install a cooker in it. There`s a new CU with a spare 40 amp trip. The run to the location of the cooker is approx 8m. My questions are:

1. I already have a 45amp cooker isolation switch with adjacent socket. Is this still acceptable?

2. I think 6mm cable will be adequate for the run from CU to IS to CCU and on to the back of cooker. Can this be confirmed.

3. Do I need to upgrade the trip to a higher amp and if so what rating?

4. The building isn`t precious so would it be better to run cables along walls rather than inside to keep them cool?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Since this is notifiable to your Local Authority Building Control you would be better off getting an registered electrician in to complete this work for you. If you choose to do it yourself you must inform your LABC before you start, pay them their fee and provide them with completed Electirical Installation Certificate.

The length of the run, its route and the cooker's power will determine the cable size and MCB - you will also need additional protection of an RCD.

You will also need to establish what the earthing system you have and ensure you have main protective bonding in place.

Running T&E grey cables on walls that are exposed to the weather is frowned upon - better to use Steel wired armour cables.

You will need test equipment to ensure that your new cooker circuit is safe and to complete the EIC.

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will be jumping through the LA hoops, and before that (and after installation) I`ll be getting an electrician to go through everything to certify it`s all OK (hopefully!).

The cable run is 8mtrs and the cooker`s output is 9.8Kw - 10.7Kw.

Thanks for the bit about RCBs, luckily the existing CU has an inbuilt RCB.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will be jumping through the LA hoops, and before that (and after installation) I`ll be getting an electrician to go through everything to certify it`s all OK (hopefully!).

Sorry but the electrician cannot sign of other peoples work. If he does so and is caught then he will lose his competent person scheme registration and probably be committing a criminal offence.

With LABC charges between £200 and £400 it might be wise to get the electrician involved at the beginning. As a member of a competent persons scheme it costs me £2.50 to inform the LABC of work that I have done.
You might find it cheaper to use the electrician.

Didn`t realise you can`t do the work and then get approval. Thanks for the help and advice. I`ll involve the electrian from the start!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back