Installing new electric shower help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install shower circuit for friend i am a sparky but just want to confirm a few things(Havent yet joined Part P N.I.C.E.I.C scheme yet and need to have 2 pieces of work inspected before i can join so wanna make sure i will pass).

1.I presume i can use Main split board with appropriate breaker to supply shower.(Rather than having to have independant fuse board and rcd)

2.Altho house is wired in old colours i presume i must use new colour coded cable for shower?

3.Am i responsible for the whole house wiring installation after i install new shower?

4.Can i still tap off Pvc Twin&earth shower circuit cable earth terminal to bond to copper cold water feed to shower?and do i need to cross bond from copper pipe to other earths in bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to have to tell you that you are definitely not ready to be let loose on the public or your friend, never mind ready for an assessment.

I'm afraid I have to agree. You are asking too many fundamental questions and it sounds very much as if you have never done this work before. You certainly appear to have no grasp of the regulations or acceptable practice.

You need to actually learn the trade before you ply it.

I Have to say this is a great idea for a website,but reading through other question and answers it seems to me that this website is dominated by a few smug know it alls(or at least pretend to) if it carries on like this no one will ask any questions and you will have to be sarcastic to each other.I have been a spark for some time,however i have been working on commercial 3 phase electrics/inverters/rectifiers which is totally different and i havent touched domestic electrics for 10 years.I just thought i would catch up with the latest ever changing regs.As in life people who want to be better than they actually are get great pleasure in trying to make others look bad.I do hope the arrogant idiots find another website to go to and keep this site for genuine helpful people who can actually give good advice and help each other!

Sponsored Links
maxkd said:
I just thought i would catch up with the latest ever changing regs.

It is part of your job to keep up to date with the regulations. But the nature of your questions is more to do with installation practice than actual regs. You ain't ready to 'do domestic'.

i have been working on commercial 3 phase electrics/inverters/rectifiers which is totally different and i havent touched domestic electrics for 10 years.

As you say totally different so your experience of industrial is not applicable to domestic installations.

Would you be happy to travel on an Airbus 380 if the pilot admitted this the first time he had flown a 380 but asked you not to worry as he was very experienced on 747 Jumbos.

The answers to all your questions are available in the forums or wikki & a little research would have saved you a bit of aggro.Having just read your other post I now realise you have a bit of an attitude, which will not gain you the help you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back