Installing new floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing new 22mm t&g chipboard floorboards at 90deg to joists at approx 450mm ctrs. The room fits approx 1.5 length across the width, do i need to cut boards so that the joints are at the joists or can the boards join anywhere? If they don't join on top of a joist will i need to putting noggins between joists to support the boards?

Sponsored Links
I'm installing new 22mm t&g chipboard floorboards at 90deg to joists at approx 450mm ctrs. The room fits approx 1.5 length across the width, do i need to cut boards so that the joints are at the joists
You don't have to providing you glue all the T&G, although the more noggins you put in will reduce any bounce
or can the boards join anywhere? If they don't join on top of a joist will i need to putting noggins between joists to support the boards?
You don't have to but it would be a better job.

I'm not lover of chipboard, plywood would be better or T&G timber flooring

Think i'll try and get all joints on the joists - it would seem to make a better, firmer floor?
If you can then that's great or put in extra noggins is just as good, I normally use 4"x2" flat way for noggins

ps: remember where the pipe or cable are! I always draw the pipe or cable location on the top of the flooring for info in the future

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointer but already got that in hand! Bought mi'sen a brand new marker pen for just that purpose!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back