Re-laying t&g floor after cutting tongues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had to lift part of a bedroom floor. It is chipboard t&g with the tongue joins across the joists and straight edges along the joists. I had to cut the tongue with a circular saw to get the board up.

Now it's time to put it back, what would anyone recommend? I'm thinking I can put 2x2 noggins between the joists to support the join which no longer will be t&g?

There is one further complication in that I had to cut a board off where it disappeared under an internal wall and this cut is parallel to the joist. How can I support this? It is only a couple of inches shy of a joist, can I screw a batten to the side of the joist and lay the board on it?

Sponsored Links
There's different kinds/sizes of chipboard - what size piece are you thinking of laying as a filler piece?
Do you have a pic of what you've opened up?

OP,
What you show in your pic is ply not chipboard, and it looks like 12.5mm (1/2") ply.

Anyhow, just screw on a bearer/batten, & add the noggins as you suggested above.

Typically, sub-flooring is a min of 18mm and is screwed and glued to the joists - why are your joists double joists?

Sponsored Links
Apologies, brain freeze, it is indeed ply. Had chipboard on the brain cos I relaid a downstairs chipboard floor this week due to previous damp issue! It is about 18mm thick though.

I am not sure why the joists are doubled. I've only recently bought the place.

Is there any official advice about how thick the bearer should be?

Thanks for you help!

2" x 4" screwed at every 150mm's for bearers.

Yes, I can now see the cut edge is 18mm so I apologise for getting it wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back