Loft T&G (Again!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, I am using Wickes T&G P5 chipboard for the loft.

I will be laying it at right angles to the battens, couple of things...

1) is there a best place to start, end wall? hatch?

2) I take it that all ends have to be on a joist, so I just cut it so it sits in the centre of the joist, otherwise it would over hang, then cut the tongue of the next board so it butts up flush?

3) to they have to be staggered? its only for a loft?

I will be using the correct screws for this, not glue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
*Start at the hatch first.
*It is good practice to have the joints over the centre of joists, if you need to
cut try to keep the cuts at the wall side and T&G joint over the joist.
*If you stagger them it will add strength to the overall floor, rather than
having lined up weak points, staggering will give it a better bond.

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you're laying 2400 x 600 t/g chipboard over joists...and that you're laying it so that the longer sides of the sheets are perpendicular to the length of the joists...

The idea of t/g chipboard is that you can "hang" the joins between the joists, so don't worry if they're not lining up. pbods idea is fine if the chipboard is not t/g but if it is, then it seems like you're creating a lot of work for yourself. Also, butt joining chipboard on a joist is a recipe for squeaks in the long term.

Other tips:
drill pilot/clearance holes when you lay the sheets down
A bit of PVa in the joins just before you screw the sheet down doesn't do any harm
Before you lay the first row, make sure you measure across the room so that you don't end up with a really thin rip for the last row.
Make sure the joists are as clean as possible if they're old. Don't worry about removing old nails, just bang 'em in flat.
Don't use nails, use screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back