Loft flooring & Kingspan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry another loft floor question!

I'm looking at putting down 18 or 22 mm P5 flooring in my loft, done the job in previous houses but in this one the roof height is a bit lower so no cross battening. The setup of the loft would easily take the T&G screwed down onto the joists but I would loose some insulation.

Is it possible to use the sheets of celotex/kingspan on the joists and drop the P5 on the top (screwed down obviously)? Is it sturdy enough to take the weight of storage items and walking used like this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Mmmm. Do your sums & see what works out most cost-effective- the price of Celotex is not a linear relationship (ie 50mm is not half the price of 100mm). Even non-subsidised rockwool is about 1/3rd the price to achieve any given U value- if you have 6" joists up there you could have 150mm wool between the joists & 80mm Celotex above.

Mmmm. Do your sums & see what works out most cost-effective- the price of Celotex is not a linear relationship (ie 50mm is not half the price of 100mm). Even non-subsidised rockwool is about 1/3rd the price to achieve any given U value- if you have 6" joists up there you could have 150mm wool between the joists & 80mm Celotex above.

That's very helpful thankyou.

Doing some sums, there's a couple of options. The existing joists are 100mm with what appears to be 270mm mineral wool giving a U of ~0.164. If I keep 100mm of mineral wool, drop some 80mm Celotex over the top it gives a U of ~0.17. 100mm Celotex gives a U of ~ 0.148. As I understand the target would be 0.15 ideally?

The width of loft to board is 2.44m, doing this means no cutting of the PIR, no cutting of the flooring sheets. Perhaps a few noggins if the existing joists don't run on nice centres.

Anything else loses more height and/or requires cross battening increasing the cost and messing about cutting sheets I think.

Sounds like a plan- go with the 100mm while you're at it. And lucky you, cutting PIR is a rubbish job.By the way, how are you going to get 2400 x 1200 sheets into the loft

Is it possible to use the sheets of celotex/kingspan on the joists and drop the P5 on the top (screwed down obviously)?

It used to be a recommended method, and I had an installation brochure from a German manufacturer aimed at the UK market.

Since Grenfell, all such recommendations have been withdrawn.

Glasfoam is still suitable, but seldom seen in UK.

Sounds like a plan- go with the 100mm while you're at it. And lucky you, cutting PIR is a rubbish job.By the way, how are you going to get 2400 x 1200 sheets into the loft

Thanks. Yeah the very small bit of work I've done with stuff didn't fill me with joy at the prospect of cutting it into strips.

Just fitted a nice big hatch/ladder so fingers crossed they'll go up in one :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back