Floorboard support on edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Plenty of good advice on this forum but I couldn't find a specific enough answer to my query so I've decided to pop a post:
I intend to reboard a 3 X 2m room by replacing the old warped 18mm T&G chipboards with decent 20mm T&G softwood boards.

One of the sides of the room has its chipboard running under a partition wall.
While cutting this board as close as I could to the wall I noticed that there was no joist under the wall (the cut line is 220mm away from the nearest joist which are all 450mm apart).
As this is precisely where the edge of my softwood boards will be resting I'm wondering if, in order to support the edge of the future board I should:
a) install some noggins between the joists on either side of the partition wall.
b) install a small joists (one side fixed with a joist hanger onto the masonry and the other, going to the other side of the room 2m away, supported by a noggin)
c) Not bother
d) None of the first 3

Any advice would be very much appreciated! :D

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Your first thought should be supporting the partition wall. Chipboard cut off like that isn't going to do it. You really need to take the floor under the wall to several joists along or fit joists to support it. You can add joists to support the boards at the same time.

You could use some steel adjustable supports maybe that are used for access flooring (Raised floors in ofice blocks) they will withstand min 8Kn
Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back