Installing new foul drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering putting an ensuite on the bedroom. It would mean installing new foul drainage (the existing foul waste for bathroom and kitchen is at the other side of the house). I'm assuming the 'pipes' would need connecting to the public sewage pipes running under the front pavement (they may actually be under my front garden).
1. Will I need building control permission?
2. I'm assuming I'll need permission of my local water / sewage authority?
3. What tradesmen would do this type of work?
4. I haven't a clue as to how much a 10metre run plus excavation and installation would cost, any rough suggestions as to likely costs?

Sponsored Links
Need to see what drains are already on the property, and if any are suitable for connection. If connecting to a sewer that's only taking water from your property, then you're free to carry on, and will only need Building Control approval. However, regardless of where the sewer is, if it's taking the neighbours as well, then you will need to speak to the Water Co. to get permission to connect, as it's their asset.

If the existing sewer is outside the boundary then it can be more complicated, if the Highway need to be dug up then the Council will need to give their permission, and you may need to use an 'Approved Contractor'.

Cost, how long is a piece of string? Depends on depth, material to be dug, reinstatement required, any shoring of trench needed, type of connection, type of pipework required, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back