Installing new hob unit.

bdw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering buying a new electric hob unit for my kitchen. Are these all of a standard size? By this I mean when I remove the old hob unit will the slot that has been cut out in the worktop below match any electric hob unit that I choose?

Units are standard 600mm.[/b]

Sponsored Links
No there are several different sizes & they usually come with a template to cut the hole to the correct size, so I would suggest you try & go for the same manufacturer as your current one & still check before you buy.

• Thanks
Reactions: bdw
Generally speaking, I think you'll find that if you stick to the same number of heating zones, a new hob will fit an existing worktop aperture.

The reason I say this is that I used to work for an electricals retailer and all the different 4 burner gas & electric hobs dropped into standard pre-cut apertures in the display stand and were interchangeable with one another; they just had differing widths of lip on the worktop side of the hob.

There are always going to be exceptions though, so if you don't want to do any modifications to the worktop it's worth measuring the existing aperture (which will mean you'll have to remove the existing hob or consult it's installation instructions) before you go out shopping for a replacement.

• Thanks
Reactions: bdw
Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, I think you'll find that if you stick to the same number of heating zones, a new hob will fit an existing worktop aperture.

The reason I say this is that I used to work for an electricals retailer and all the different 4 burner gas & electric hobs dropped into standard pre-cut apertures in the display stand and were interchangeable with one another; they just had differing widths of lip on the worktop side of the hob.

There are always going to be exceptions though, so if you don't want to do any modifications to the worktop it's worth measuring the existing aperture (which will mean you'll have to remove the existing hob or consult it's installation instructions) before you go out shopping for a replacement.
It is often the way they are fixed that affects the aperture, not just whether they will go in the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back