Base Units and Induction Hob Questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've never designed or fitted a kitchen before so I have some questions when it comes to hob appliances and base units.

I plan to buy an induction hob ~800-830 wide and 211 deep with built-in extractor fan. Possibly: https://elica.com/GB-en/hobs/nikolatesla-switch

Questions:
1. Can I install a 800 base unit with draw units either side if the hob is wider? Or is it best to buy a base unit one size larger then the hob? I.e 900 base unit for 830 hob.
2. Can I use a base unit with draws below a hob? If so, do the draws tend to have space behind to accommodate for the extractor vent that goes below the base unit to recycle/extract the air?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think these would be questions best answered by the supplier of the hob. But I doubt you will be able to use a draw unit of any kind.

930/830mm wide induction hobs could be deeper than the worktop? which fitted in a 900/800 base unit would only leave you 876/764mm between carcass side panels on 900/800 base unit for hob to drop in? underside of hob is greater than 864/764mm? which would mean cutting adjacent base unit panels to clear the vent slots in the induction hob so no support for work top AND POSSIBLY VENTS BLOCKED. same applies to other non standed sizes , possibly blocking vents ..

There is no point putting a hob on top of an oven, as built in ovens do not in general have the features found in ovens of stand alone cookers, like the closed door grilling. The whole idea of built in hobs and ovens is the oven can be higher so easier to use. The problem is cooling, an induction hob has loads of electronics that need to be kept cool, with a stand alone cooker this is easy, a temperature sensor turns on a fan, but with built in the cooling fan is part of the oven not connected to the hob, so area under hob can over heat, with some there are built in safety features which can stop this, but one has to read the installation instructions carefully, they are not all the same.

Also check how easy to control the hob, many hobs use silly touch controls, these were a good idea with a halogen hob as easier to clean, but with induction food does not bake on in the same way, and some can't be seen at the angle of some one in a wheel chair or child, so a child will not see warning hot, and also slower to use, with simple knobs you see a pan about to boil over and simply turn off ring, with touch controls so are too slow to use, so one has to lift the pan, which defeats the idea of having instant control.

Also hob should be slightly lower than the work top, if some thing does boil over you want it retained rather than soak whole work top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back