Installing new Triton mixer shower - connectors differ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have what (hopefully!) should be a fairly straightforward question.

I have a Bristan Artisan shower and live in a fairly hard water area. In the 6 years I've lived here I have had to replace the thermostatic cartridge twice - however, the 5yr warranty on the shower has now run out. Seeing as a new cartridge is almost £60 I picked up a Triton Cromo mixer shower in B&Q for £60 in their half price/clearance sale today, figuring that made as much sense as a new cartridge (the shower head could do with replacing, etc).

Anyway, I went and drained the system ready to fit the parts and... the pipe connections on new mixer bar are the wrong size for the existing pipes! To explain what is there currently:

2x exposed chrome pipes from the attic (hot and cold feeds), running almost against the tiling down to 2x 'couplings' that are screwed to the wall - these are basically 'L' connections that screw into the tiles to anchor the pipes and allow the mixer bar a place to screw onto.

This is my issue - the openings of each 'L' piece are too small to accept the connections on the Triton. So I'm looking through my Screwfix catalogue and I'm assuming I'll be OK to just get some compression connectors and 'bridge' the 2 fixings? Unfortunately the connector pieces on the Bristan won't unscrew to allow me to use them on the Triton (or at least, attempt to).

I did think these things might be a standard fitting... Doh! I can take some pics (or link to some on the web) if required, but being a pleb I've screwed the Bristan back on and put the water on again now so I can't provide a pic of those fittings, although I did take measurements!

Many thanks for any pointers.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to take the 2 existing fittings off the wall to leave your 2 vertical pipes with the nut/olive attached.

On the new mixer turn your mixer inlets 1/4 turn so they are vertical and then they'll attach to the 2 existing pipes and nut/olives.

Thanks for the reply, seco services!

I did try taking the fittings off earlier but realised I really couldn't go any further - the Triton fixes to the wall via screw(s) in the central housing and I currently have 2 elbow pieces 150mm apart - I'd have holes in the tiles!!!

Am going to take this back to B&Q this morning and hope they'll take it :(

Cheers - need more research next time before grabbing so-called bargains!

Sponsored Links
The only way round the holes in the wall is another bar mixer as they are 3/4" threads straight onto your existing fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back