Installing new wall plate

arv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The wall plate on the side of my house has perished. Im thinking of buying some new wood 11"x 1" x 6 metres (in two sections) treating it and then propping up the rafters with acro's an inch so i can slide the old out and in with the new.

Does this sound feasible? Any caveats?

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the fascia board that runs at the eaves and usually carries the guttering?

Wall plates are not usually that section-size; 4"x3" and 4"x2" are more usual.
A 1" thick piece will not be thick enough to re-nail your rafters to.

These aren't nailed on, they rest on the wall plate.

I'll have to take a picture.

Sponsored Links
If the fascia and the wall plate have shown fungal damage then the odds are that the rafter and ceiling joist tails might be damaged?
Whats the cause of the damage? On one elevation only?

Lifting off a wall plate could be a very tricky business, with potential for the roof to spread, and ceilings to lift. How are the rafters tied in (if they are)?
Is your roof hipped?
Any partitions or purlins in the loft?
There's also the matter of tie straps - down the wall, and across the joists perhaps. Are they in place or will they be required?

Wall plates should, of course, be of a heavier section, as above advised, but if your wall plate is indeed a 1" by, then general and detailed pics would be helpful.

FWIW, i'd advise you not to do anything until you've been advised further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back