Building a roof on extention - wall plate and velux question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hoping for some advice please. The builders have started the roof on our 5m by 2m extension. We know it might not be the most modern and up to date way of building a roof but rather than us having to find new builders to take over our extension which will be very costly for us, we are hoping that, whilst the method isn't conventional, it will still pass building regulations and will be structurally safe.

I have attached some pictures. The concerns we have are:
  1. The wall plate they have used is a 4 by 2 plate and the rafters are 6 by 2 and placed on top of the wall plate - is this okay?
  2. On the other side – above the front wall they have also used a 4 by 2 plate.
  3. They have not used double timber for the Velux windows
Is the wall plate too small for the load? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 50243826_391320578108724_1881983686182699008_n.jpg
    50243826_391320578108724_1881983686182699008_n.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
Don’t believe there’s an issue with the wall plates, although Id have thought it’d normally be birdsmouthed, I think the roof light rafters should be doubled tho.

Rafters should be doubled up each side of the roof light.

Pole plate is not doing a lot as long as the rafter ends are abutting the wall. Should be bolted to the wall. BC would ask you to either b/m the rafter onto the pole plate or use a truss clip on each end to prevent up-lift and at as a fixing etc.

Sponsored Links
Plates ok but needs strapping down.
Doubles for velux
Very important is what roof pitch is it.?
Looks flat to me?
End of the day, let BC have a look and they will tell you if it's not ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back