Wall plate for flat roof - all 3 sides required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Planning ahead for the roof of my extension and wanted some advice.

The roof joists (175mm x 63mm) will fix to the back wall of my house on joist hangers and then the other end will fit to the front wall of my extension.

On the front wall I know I need to fit a 4" x 2" wooden wall plate, but do I need to fit wooden wall plates on the side walls? No joists will be fitted to the side walls, so I cant see any reason to fit wall plates there.

Sponsored Links
OK

Do I fix the joists to the inside wall with straps then?

Would it matter if a wall plate 'was' fitted, seems easier to fit the joists to?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alister,

Shows using wall plates, doesnt indicate whether they are needed on all walls/sides though

No it would not matter. The joists will need to be strapped down just the same and there is no extra advantage in fixing to a plate

If you do fit a plate, then you will need to fit one all the way around else the ceiling will be higher than the wall ... and you'll need to support the noggins for the two end joists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back