Installing outdoor spotlights to an existing indoor switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to change an existing single switch to a double switch to power a light outside. I have had a look at the existing wiring but am unsure where to put the new(brown & blue)wires from the spotlights into the new 2 gang switch.

Sponsored Links
What wires do you have there already?. Most likely you will only have a live and a switch wire so you cant do what you intend.

The existing wires in the box are two wires, with 3 wires in each....
2 x red go to the switch
2x black are connected to each other by a terminal box.
2 x green connected to the metal box

You are Lucky ( i am being serious, its unusual to find as you have the blacks)

(This assumes you have put the lights up FIRST)

First switch off the mains (all of it, to be sure)

The blue goes in with the blacks, the brown goes into a terminal on the new switch on its own.
You then connect a wire(the same size as the red)From the red that is at the bottom to the one remaining terminal on the switch.

If you have a green/yellow (you didnt say) connect this to the greens.

Put the switch back (*being carefull not to let any wires touch the sides of the box)

Switch mains back on and turn on switch

*The reason you do this is so that when you put the screws back that hold the switch in position they (the screws) can not puncture/ sever any wires in the box.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou so much for your reply and your explanation is crystal clear. There is no earth on the spotlights wire as they are used via a transformer to convert to the 12v system. What a great site!, I've been trying to solve this for days and you done it in just over an hour!, all the best mate, thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back