Installing outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have brought a masterseal plus double socket with rcd. Where I want to put it outside, there is a socket inside. What I want to know is how do you connect the existing interior socket to the outside one? Do I cut the cables that go to the inside socket and run two cables off that, one for the interior, one for the exterior? Or can I just add cables from the back of the interior socket and take them to the outside? Any diagrams drawn on paint or whatever would be go. Ive attached a diagram, can someone complete it please. Thanks
//media.diynot.com/212000_211322_69669_35574558_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you're sure it's a ring, then you can just spur out of the existing socket - this means you'll have 3 sets of cables in each connection point

The circuit needs to have RCD protection at the consumer unit though. If you're unsure, post a pic of it please

If your socket circuit already has RCD protection, then that's one hellishly expensive socket!

Thanks for the photos but we all know what a socket looks like!

We need to know about the socket that you are hoping to connect to.
How many cables are connected to this? I mean, how many wires are in each terminal?

If its two wires in each, then drill through the wall and fit a length of 2.5mm² twin and earth. Connect up at teh external socket having first drilled out the drain hole in the MAsterseal box, and siliconed teh cable entry/exit.

At the existing socket, connect up earth, neutral and line to the existing wiring (now you have 3 conductors in each hole).
Job done.

Come back if you have a different number of conductors than 2.

Sponsored Links
ok so from each live, neutral and earth connection in the back of the inside socket, I come off that and connect to the corresponding one in the back of the outside socket? What about the earth in the casing? The sockets are on a separate ring that has a rcd at the consumer unit. I know its expensive but I wanted to be sure lol. Thanks

Have brought a masterseal plus double socket with rcd.
So the socket circuit you are using to supply it is not already RCD protected?

What I want to know is how do you connect the existing interior socket to the outside one?
With a length of cable. Make sure the hole through the wall slopes downwards as it goes out. Are you planning to go into the back of the Masterseal, or the bottom?

Do I cut the cables that go to the inside socket and run two cables off that, one for the interior, one for the exterior?
I don't understand - why would you cut them? And having cut them, what does "run two cables off that mean?

Do you actually understand how socket circuits are wired?

I think the OP was trying to ask if he puts the outside socket in the ring, extending the ring by cutting cables and adding extensions.

There is no need to have a go at him, just explain how its not a good thing to have an RCD on an already RCD protected circuit if that's the case, how to wire it has already been explained.

He is likely thinking that an RCD protected external socket would work independently of the internal one. so any faults outside stay outside and that he needs to extend the ring to the socket rather than spur to it.

P.S. - the forum wiki is pretty useless when it comes to RCD's - all the links are dead. (as are several others on there.)

I think the OP was trying to ask if he puts the outside socket in the ring, extending the ring by cutting cables and adding extensions.
That's the point - you think that's what was meant.

There is no need to have a go at him,
Making posters think about what they have written or proposed is no bad thing.

just explain how its not a good thing to have an RCD on an already RCD protected circuit if that's the case,
Some would say it is a good thing.

He is likely thinking that an RCD protected external socket would work independently of the internal one. so any faults outside stay outside and that he needs to extend the ring to the socket rather than spur to it.
Or ... something else?

I would certainly include a DP isolator inside the house, and have this socket as a spur from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back