outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

i need to install a socket to the outside of my house at the back, ive got a socket which is part of the ring on the inside wall, my plan is to drill straight through to outside, then install a masterseal socket.

my question is do i need the outside socket to be a rcd socket?

the downstairs ring on the house is protected by a rcd so in theory if i spured of a socket from downstairs the new one would be protected by that rcd.

cheers

Sponsored Links
It doesn't need to be an RCD socket. However, you will need to test amongst other things, the existing RCD which protects the DS ring, along with the EFL impedance, insulation resistance, R1+R2, R1, Rn and R2 end to end resistances of the existing ring.

the rcd in the house will be adequate for the outside socket, you do not need an srcd (socket incorparating rcd). having two 30ma's on the same circuit in this manner serves no purpose and both would probably operate in the event of a earth leakage.

make sure you get a correctly rated IP socket for outside and that you seal the hole in the wall correctly.

It doesn't need to be an RCD socket. However, you will need to test amongst other things, the existing RCD which protects the DS ring, along with the EFL impedance, insulation resistance, R1+R2, r1, rn and r2 end to end resistances of the existing ring.

Results will need recorcing on a MWC, and it's worth mentioning that if this outside socket is really outside, then this may account as a special installation and so will also be notifiable...

Sponsored Links
many thanks for your reply lads

a electrician is coming next week to fit the socket, i forgot to ask him if it needed to be a rcd one thats all.

its a mk masterseal socket so its fine for outside use.

thanks again for the help

matt

If ring main covered by RCD, then no need for additional breaker. If location of outside socket is reasonably protected from elements etc., the IP44 will suffice however, if in doubt, go for IP56.

[removed]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back