Outside socket install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to install an outside socket attached to the property wall, I plan to break the 32amp ring circuit which is also protected my an RCD and go to the outside socket using junction boxes in the loft, is this ok ?

Sponsored Links
I think I would spur off the ring with a means of double pole isolation. Sometimes a bit of moisture can get into your outside electricals, which may cause your RCD to trip and knock out the ring. Might be a pain until you can sort the outside stuff.

A double pole switch will completely isolate both live and neutral, so you can get the inside ring back on.

Also bear in mind that you need to use suitable cable for any externally fixed cable, a bit of twin and earth won't suffice.

Is it a ring final circuit?

Will the junction boxes be accessible?

How will you get from the loft to the socket?

Sponsored Links
Are you going to have a long run of cable exposed to the elements? What is the socket for?

Twin and Earth in plastic conduit from the soffit.

The junction boxes will be in the loft, but thinking maybe spur it from a junction box instead of extending the ring

Thoughts

Yes my bungalow

Always worthwhile for outside electrics.
Don't forget to drill a drain hole in the bottom of your socket box.

Is there not a socket in the house near to where you want the outside socket, to save all this loft/conduit/junction boxes business?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back