Installing Oven and Hob onto 32amp 6mm2 radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is covered in part on various other posts, but I just need to clarify my specific situation. I have an existing oven running on a 32amp Wylex MCB and 6mm2 cable. I want to replace the electric oven with a 3.65kw built in electric oven and add a 6.6kw electric counter top hob. I have read that providing that the cable run is no more than 20m that the 32amp MCB with 6mm2 cable can handle a maximum of 12kw. So as the 2 appliances total 10.25kw these don't need replacing. So I can add a 45amp cooker switch to which I can connect to the hob with a 6mm2 cable and then daisy chain from the hob another 6mm2 cable (providing the connector can handle the 2 cables) to the oven? Or have I misread or misunderstood anything?

Sponsored Links
A 32A supply is 7.36kW and normally this can be supplied with a 6mm sq cable. If you connect a greater load then it will in the end trip but with an oven and hob each element will all be switching on and off so likely the average load will not exceed 7.36kW so likely there will be no problem.

The only real problem is if it does trip it will also stop any cooling fans so the items could overheat.

So my options are to press on and maybe risk no Christmas Dinner or change the cable to 10mm2 and the MCB to 40amp and relax and enjoy my roasties? :D

PS. Thanks for keeping the response straight forward and understandable!

Sponsored Links
So I can add a 45amp cooker switch to which I can connect to the hob with a 6mm2 cable and then daisy chain from the hob another 6mm2 cable (providing the connector can handle the 2 cables) to the oven? Or have I misread or misunderstood anything?

You will have problems getting two 6mm² conductors into most hob supply terminals. Better to use one of THESE
and run two separate 6mm cables, one to the hob and one to the oven.

Thanks for all your replies and advice sounds like it is worth trying to use existing and testing by running both appliances on full for an hour before finishing rest of kitchen installation. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back