installing rsj

Hi Roy

At a guess I'd probably use three, it depends on how well I think the wall will stay together and if there's any other weight on the wall from above. You need someone to be there and look at it to be sure.

You have to support both ends, you'll see this as the job is being done. Either by taking the acrows through the floor or as noseall said by sitting the needles on the floor and then jacking the joists below the needles.

Normally I wouldn't try raising the wall, as it lifts you are going to get cracks in the plasterwork at the least and every time you alter something by lifting that will affect something else.

If I was going to try and lift it I'd do it using the bressemer before cutting for the needles. Don't do this yourself, leave it to your bulider, he'll have insurance. :eek: as woody said, if it goes wrong it goes wrong quick, you'll get no warning. Then if you're really lucky you'll only have a massive bill for putting it right, and if you're unlucky, don't even think about it.

Good luck with getting the builder at right price for you. There are guys out there who will give you a good job at a good price but accept you have to pay the right price. I bet you reckon you're worth every penny you get paid, the builder will be the same.

Sponsored Links
gangman said:
First support the upstairs wall, probably with needles as you're fitting between joists, the number and positioning of these depends on the wall. As it's now a wooden beam I would guess it's old brickwork, lime mortar, easier for cutting out for needles but it doesn't stay together as well. Plus you've said there's already some movement in the wall so for safety this stage has to be done right....

Thanks a lot to all the posters and gangman in particular, for explaining quite why the quotes I'm getting are so high :)

Sadly I got in a builder who's approach was not quite acceptable to BC. I can whole heartedly reinforce the basic idea here - get a builder in who does this all the time. I didn't. The first question your builder should have for you is "where are the SE plans".

I asked mine in to put a RSJ that left a flush ceiling... he said okay and quoted £1300. I know I sound like a complete tool but I had no idea I needed to notify BC or get an SE in. The builder certainly made no mention of it! The builder decided a wooden joist would do just fine, well, after he'd taken the wall out.

I'm getting quotes for putting the steel in now and, to be honest, they're the thick end of 2k for a 3.5m span (steel cost is about 550 exvat). I was thinking that was steep until I read the post above.

I'd really like to do as much prep work as possible - but for the life of me I have no idea where I'd get needles from - can't find them at tool hire places, just strong boy props which I don't reckon would be good enough with my 1930's mortar.

Any needle tips? Googling for that phrase isn't proving very helpful :LOL:

Where are you buying the steel from for £550 - and is it made of gold?

By me for that span, 7x4's are about £180, and 8x4's just over £200

And over £2k to put a steel in makes me want to cry. Now I really need to up my prices.

A needle is just a piece of timber to go through the wall to hold the wall up. Its normally a piece of 6x2 or 4x4 etc. You wont find them at hire shops, but on the racks at B&Q!

Also have a look at ' strongboys ' as alternatives to needles. They save a lot of work

Sponsored Links
LOL :)

Second quote comes in a grand cheaper, the first guy obviously really didn't want the job.

The steel is 2x PFC's bolted together with wood bolted to them to hang the joists off.. cos the SE said he couldn't get the strength in a piece of steel that would leave the ceiling flush..

Need to talk to builder #2 to see if he's found some cheaper fabricators.

This forum is gold, cheers for all your comments!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back