Installing Shower from scratch with pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m embarking on a project (diagram attached) which involves taking out an old electric shower, taking out a bath, fitting new bath, then installing a gravity fed shower, with an electric pump attached.

There are bits of this I would be confident with, and would loathe to pay anyone else to do, then bits where I am all at sea. So I would rather someone just does the whole lot, and it costs what it costs. In a previous post I highlighted how it is seemingly impossible to get a plumber, so it’s now down to me.

My thoughts were to T off the pipes (under the bath) leading to the bath taps, and the chase these pipes to a shower valve.

Beyond where I have Teed off, i.e. after bath taps I would put the shower pump. As you can see on the diagram, there is plenty of space under the bath, and a power source right outside bathroom door. I figured that this would mean that the pump will only operate when shower is on, as opposed to coming on when any water is fed to bathroom.

My main question is, can you do this?. I’ve seen a well-known plumber on youtube say you can put a pump under the bath, but a supplier I enquired with says you shouldn’t do this. They also said that even if the pump is after the bath taps, it could ‘hunt, due to residual water movement in the pipes’ (?) and that the pump should be as close to water supply as possible. They are not plumbers however - and stressed that.

If I went down that route, (ie close to tank) surely the pump is going to switch on whenever water is summoned from the tank i.e. flushing toilet or using bath or sink taps? If the pump was in the attic under the cold water tank, I would need an electrician to make power supply. If the pump was in the cupboard of the hot water tank, I would definitely not be able to do this on my own as it seems that I would need meters of additional pipes to get a separate run for a shower. That would be well beyond my capabilities.

So, would my original idea work? Or am I just going to make a massive problem for myself. If the latter, then that’s fine. I just need to know where I stand, and know if I absolutely have to get a plumber. Hopefully I’m making sense. By the way, I’ve found the help on this forum so very helpful in the past, so thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Scan 12 Jul 2021.pdf
    301 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
No your idea will cause problems ,you can buy a shower with a built in pump if you down load the installation instructions it will help

Surely the chap who comes and services your warm air unit yearly could give you some advice?

No your idea will cause problems ,you can buy a shower with a built in pump if you down load the installation instructions it will help

Thanks. You don’t say what problems.? I’m installing a gravity fed shower, with a pump. Not an electric power shower.

Sponsored Links
Surely the chap who comes and services your warm air unit yearly could give you some advice?

I only moved in recently, so it’s not been serviced as yet. The firm who serviced it previously left broken bits of an asbestos flue in the attic. I asked them to quote for removing timer on the unit and got an estimate for six grand for a new unit, cylinder and tank. They didn’t even look at it. Won’t mention their name , but wouldn’t use them for anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back