Installing shower pump in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting an upstairs bedroom to a bathroom and have aquired a 3 bar Stuart Turner pump, the negative head type.
I want to install it directly above the new shower, therefore will be mounted in the attic.
I am concerned with the noise and vibration that the pump will invariably produce. Has anyone got any advice on how to mount and sound insulate such a pump ?

Sponsored Links
Not positive but putting the pump above the shower is not recomended

yes. I can understand putting the pump at the base of the HW cylinder if it is a positive head type pump, but mine is negative head. Does this actually mean I can mount the pump above the level of the hot/cold water tank ? Or does it mean it can supply a shower above the level of the hot/cold water tank ?

Negative head means you can pump above the supply level.

installing the pump above the hot water supply is ok if the cold feed to the cylinder is large enough, and you have a minimum 600mm head.

Saying that it's not a good idea, and it would be better installed in the cupb along side the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
We had an Aqualisa fitted a good few years ago. As I explained in another post, the pump is in the attic (not sure if Negative or Positive pump) BUT slightly lower than CWSC and F&E on plinth. Fed by hot water from Expansion pipe, (T'd off just above attic floor) and cold feed. So, two pipes in BUT only one pipe out into riser (Dropped From Attic). Not ideal I am told, but works with no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back