Installing sliding porch door query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Moving house to a place without a porch. We have pets so a porch is handy.

In the medium/long term we’ll probably just get a porch built but we won’t have money for that after redecoration and other moving in projects. There is a relatively large entrance hall bit. I’m thinking of adding a “free standing“ internal porch door perhaps with a window panel to one side.

I had been thinking a sliding “free standing” wardrobe door type thing. Presumably I’d need to place a runner along the floor and the ceiling, between the two walls on the left and right of the hallway, and then add the doors as you would like a wardrobe. Would that work?

If not, is it possible to add a “normal” inwards opening door panel internally but “free standing”/attached only to ceiling?

Wouldn’t be for security so can be fairly flimsy - just need a separator to keep the pets in and to dump the food shopping on runs from the car!

Sponsored Links
You could use a light internal door. Some of them are very cheap and flimsy. But I think you will want a glazed door to let light through. Safety glass is heavy and expensive. You can use rigid plastic but it is not as clear.

Hinged doors that open flat against the wall will be less of a nuisance. You will have to attach it to a "frame" or at least a batten fixed to the wall. I am very fond of lift-off hinges that make it easy to remove and refix a door. The only thing you can fix to the ceiling is a curtain.

The door will greatly reduce heat loss in the hall, even if it is not a tight fit.

You can use any door, pretty simple just use a door kit... https://www.toolstation.com/rothley-herkules-120-sliding-door-system/p91692... here is one of ours boxed in ...
IMG_20231223_111410.jpg

Pls ignore the paintwork something I was supposed to finish for Christmas but pub has got in the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back