installing thermostatic mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As part of bathroom refit, I have decided (upon the advice of my plumber friend who is helping me fit) to go for a thermostatic mixer shower off the combi.

If you can imaging standing in the bath looking at the shower end. In front of you is a bare brick wall which will be plasterboarded, skimmed and tiled. On your right is a stud wall which is being built to cover all the central heating pipework that runs down from the loft where the boiler is.

How should the shower be installed and do I need a surface mounted one or a recessed one?

As far as I can see I could have the shower mixer valve mounted to the head wall which would be the normal situation. But I could mount the mixer valve to the stud wall which might be easier. Doing this the valve controls would be on your right as you stand in the bath, with the rail and spray head in front of you.

I notice in the instructions for the shower valves they say that rear access is desirable or a removable panel. I will have neither of these, so is a surface mounted one better? But would I need pipes running external to the wall to do this or do they still run behind?

If installing on the bare brick wall, what depth is required between tile face and wall. Given that the wall will be drylined, skimmed and tiled. What amount of chasing out of the brick would be required?

Many thanks, I know this is probably one of those situations where pictures would help and I will try to post some when I get home later.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Come surface mounted. Showers in this day and age never seem to last! Fitting an enclosed shower could possibly give you a serious headache in the future.

Sponsored Links
concealed any day, takes longer looks better.
why are you plasterboarding a brick wall just skim it, your tiling over it anyway.
a concealed shower will need about 3" depending on make and model you choose. or fit a bar mixer then you only got to conceal the pipework.

why are you plasterboarding a brick wall just skim it, your tiling over it anyway.

Only part over bath will be tiled. Rest will be painted.

Here is a photo.

DSC00016.jpg

Cheers

Yes. The second pipe and fourth pipe from the left are the 15mm hot and cold.

Just don't know whether to mount on stud wall, or brick wall, and whether to go for surface mount or recessed.

Cheers

Ok. And what type of mixer shower would be best then. My plumber friend is suggesting a trevi therm 3000 he says they are good and he has got fitting experience of them.

Or would a surface mounted bar mixer be best?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back