Install pipework for exposed thermostatic mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new thermostatic shower mixer, which is the exposed type. i.e. should sit over the shower tiles. The wall it's going to be mounted on is a tiled stud wall at the end of the bath. Should I get the tiler to simply tile the entire wall, and then drill holes in the tiles for the hot and cold feed pipes?
Secondly, it is not apparent how the mixer is fastened to the tiles. Is it just held in place by the pipework. I can't see how this can be correct, as I'm planning to use flexi hoses to supply the water behind the tiles.
I'd be very grateful for some advice. If it's of any help, the shower is a Hudson Reed "Dream Infinity" shower

U-A389--B.jpg

Sponsored Links
In the parts list, the connectors are called 3/4" BSP to 1/2" BSP Connectors

They are kind of 'offset', which I think is designed to allow you to vary the position of the feed pipe centres, but not entirely sure. They are supposed to be covered with (supplied) stainless steel flanges which screw onto them. However, I still don't see how that's going to stop the whole body of the mixer being pulled away from the tiles?

Hope that's of some help?

Try Screwfix , Toolstation and BES. At least 2 of those do plates you can fix in the wall and screw the mixer to.
Before those existed we used to manage with wallplate elbows (things you fix outside taps to) buried in the wall, screwed to a batten in your case.

Sponsored Links
These can be awkward to fit.

I'm not sure if this is the right way, but I've used 400mm 1/2" wall plates (secured to other side of studwork) and 1/2" female irons soldered onto the measured and cut bit of 15mm from the wall plate. Sorry can't find any pix.

From memory, you have to be extremely accurate, although the chrome covers allow a little flexibility.

It's much easier to do than it is to describe! sorry

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. Still not sure how I screw the mixer onto anything however, the only way i can see that it comes into contact with the wall/tile is via the pipe connectors.

NB...I reckon I might have to call in the Professionals! I'm only trying to do this myself because I've had someone in the house the last few days who called himself a plumber, but judging from the state of my bathroom, 'butcher' would be a better description :mad: . I've learnt a valuable lesson in "you get what you pay for". Without going into too much detail, I have a shower which isnt attached to to the wall, a WC I have to pour a bucket down to flush as isnt connected; and no basin at all.

Gotta laugh otherwise I'd cry!!! :LOL:

Plumbamateur, ChrisR told you what you need and where to get it, but you seem to be ignoring his advise. What is your problem?

This looks continental - they are supported by the pipework. The threaded adaptor piece should come off by undoing a union nut. When you've installed the 2 adaptors to the pipes, you attach the shower using the union nuts.

chrishutt - I'm not ignoring anyone's advice, as I said in my previous post - I really appreciate it. I'm just completely in the dark when it comes to these sorts of jobs, so I apologise if I don't immediately understand things. My comment re "calling in the professionals" certainly wasn't meant to imply that the advice I've already been given here is not professional. Relax :D

dal5 - yes I think you're right, there are union nuts to attach the connectors.

Did a couple of installations like this myself recently and used a shower bar wall plate (tool station) as previously mentioned. I took the plasterboard off the wall, added some new timber to support the plate at the screw holes. I calcualted the thickness of the board, tiles and adhesive and then installed the new pipework. I soldered all the connections as somehow I didn't want to trust compression or push fit fittings behind a tiled wall. I was able to re-assemble the wall and tile, cutting circular holes for the pipework where the plate was fitted, then it was just a case of fitting the shower bar to the plate. All was quite stright forward... really!
Andy

Thanks Andy. I've just ordered this, and will let you know how I get on once it arrives!
Cheers

27249.jpg

plumbamateur said:
Thanks Andy. I've just ordered this, and will let you know how I get on once it arrives!
Cheers

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/27249.jpg[/img
][/QUOTE] Hi "plumbamateur"

You are in the right place for help. Two years ago my brand new boiler developed a problem. The engineer who installed the boiler walked off the job when he couldn't fix a common fault with that particular brand of boiler.

I admit I felt I was taken for a ride by this dude. A friend of mine suggested I visit this website and post the problem I had.

Within couple of hours three good guys responded. One fella knew the problem straight away and other two were in agreement. The instructions given to me were precise and guess what I did exactly what they told me.

After completing the alteration I fired my boiler presto problem solved. Boy was I happy you bet I was.

There are loads of good guys on this forum. They will I am sure help you fix your problem. Hope I have offered some word of encouragement. Good Luck.

I have bought a new thermostatic shower mixer, which is the exposed type. i.e. should sit over the shower tiles. The wall it's going to be mounted on is a tiled stud wall at the end of the bath. Should I get the tiler to simply tile the entire wall, and then drill holes in the tiles for the hot and cold feed pipes?
Secondly, it is not apparent how the mixer is fastened to the tiles. Is it just held in place by the pipework. I can't see how this can be correct, as I'm planning to use flexi hoses to supply the water behind the tiles.
I'd be very grateful for some advice. If it's of any help, the shower is a Hudson Reed "Dream Infinity" shower

U-A389--B.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back