Installing timer for hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice with regards to the hot water tank in a new house.

Old central heating system and hot water tank. There is a switch in the kitchen that switches on the electric heating element within the hot water cylinder.

I don't really fancy having to get up earlier to turn it on for hot water in the morning and to help keep the bills down I'd like to only have it on for a short time in the morning and short time in the evening.

How easy would putting some sort of timer in place be? Is there a way to change the standard wall switch over to some sort of timer switch?

As you can tell I'm pretty useless at this sort of stuff. :D
Thanks in advance for any pointers

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler not also heat the cylinder? If it does, this will probably be cheaper (with gas at 3-6p per kw, and electric at 12-24p per kw), even taking the heating system's inefficiencies into account. I had my immersion heater disconnected when I moved in, and just use the boiler to supply the hot water.

If your cylinder has 4-5 pipes into it, then it can be boiler heated.
If your cylinder has 2-3 pipes into it, then it cant.

Sponsored Links
Boiler unfortunately does not heat the hot water tank

Will check out the timers in the link. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back