Timer switch for heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
on my hot water / central heating system I have a fused isolating socket. As I do not have a timer switch for my hot water (only a timer on my central heating) I would like to be able to time when the boiler operates for the hot water.
1. Can I simply change the fused isolater for a timer.
2. Is there a special switch that will do this.

Regards Sacko

Sponsored Links
You should take this to the CH forum, and post details of your boiler type.

If you do what you are asking here, you will interrupt the supply to the entire boiler, not just time the water heating - you need to find out if there is a more sophisticated programmer you can use....

The boiler is a Gledhill Boiler Mate II. I only want to run the system on timer during the summer and as I do not have the central heating running it shouldnt effect anything else, should it ??

So all you need to do is connect the wire that is going to the central heating timer (then to the boiler) to a fused plug top & then plug that into a plug in timer. Switch the central heating timer to on & the room stat off & I would thought job done.

Sponsored Links
not reccomended to use timer on h/w circuit.
this beast of a cylinder needs h/w to on constantly with a gas [i presume] boiler thermostat at maximun.
altering the way the manufacturers want their cylinder to operate could b---er it up.
just turn your temp selector on boiler mate down/summer.

Ummm
I hear what your saying but I have over the last 4 weeks been turning off the power suply over night and during the day when I am at work and only switching on for 15 minutes enough to give me a hot water supply.
My gas units used has reduced by two thirds while doining this.
Before when I had it on constant it would kick in every hour(even though the setting is on summer). I couldnt see much point in heating the water supply while I'm not using it.
I moved into this house 10 months ago haveing left a simular size house that had a conventional type hot water / central heating system. I had the hot water on constant. I used to have a quarlerly gas bill of around £100. I know gas charges have gone up but to go from £100 to £340 is crazy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back