INSTALLING TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone could help me. I'm thinking of installing a HDTV big tv above my fire place. Is this a good idea?

If it is what is the best type of TV to go for LCD or Plasma. I know LED tv's are alot better, but can't really afford one of those.

Sponsored Links
Putting it above your fireplace depends on if you want neck ache... ;)

It shouldn't be providing the fire, if there is one doesn't radiate extreme heat in the area of the proposed fixing.

LED/Plasma=Personal choice, I'd be more concerned with the brand and if you prefer sound over vision.

Be careful on angles. My wife has small TV in bedroom and although you can view with large angle side to side if angle up and down is only a few degrees out the picture is very poor. For one person no problem angle the screen but does not work with group of people.

Each TV is different of course. And will the fire be off? If the fire is used then I would question if many TV's could handle heat.

Maybe a projector would be better then hot bit has no electronics.

Sponsored Links
Wonder if someone could help me. I'm thinking of installing a HDTV big tv above my fire place. Is this a good idea?

If it is what is the best type of TV to go for LCD or Plasma. I know LED tv's are alot better, but can't really afford one of those.
Your guide on temperature is in the instruction manual (Download it from the manufacturer's web site). Most TV's will work OK even if the ambient temperature is up to 35-40 degrees C. If you're going to invest several hundred pounds in a TV, and then go to the trouble of mounting it above a roaring fire, then first maybe you should invest a fiver in a thermometer just to see how hot the wall gets when the fire is on full. It might save you a lot of money in the long run.

As for LED being 'better'... er, don't believe the hype. The LED bit is the lights behind the LCD screen. It's just a different way of illuminating the screen compared to a normal LCD TV. It means the telly can be slimmer, but that's about all really.

For picture quality I'd go with plasma. It reacts much faster than LCD so there's none of the image lag. I also find the image looks far less processed than with LCD. The viewing angle is also really wide from side to side and top to bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back