Instant hot water taps.

In the 1960s when experimental superinsulated homes were being built in the USA, they found they should not have gas hobs, so as to keep moisture down with hob extraction as standard, preferably with the fans also attached to the extractor lights so extraction is going when cooking with the home owner not forgetting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if little heating is needed it makes sense. That is one of the points I have been putting across.
How much is used doesn't alter the fact that electricity is far more expensive than gas.

Another one who hasn't a clue about solar homes.
What has solar got to do with anything? No electric shower or electric water heater will be powered from solar.

US Dept of Energy assessed they are worthwhile
Would that be the same lot that have declared that global warming is a myth?

Some do not do boiling water with some having the hot tap from the combi
What combi? This mess of a house doesn't have any gas, or apparently any space for a combi, stored water or even a kettle on the worktop.

The boiling water taps do save over an electric kettle as no water is heated and not used,
Untrue - they have a constantly heated vessel of boiling water under the worktop.

I think people need to look at the lifetime cost as well as the per day effect.
A gas boiler has a lot of cost other than the fuel, the obvious one being the installation and standing charge.
Same goes for the heat recovery drain, most of the cost is up front.
Likewise for the super insulation.
If you need a cheap house in its first year, don't insulate or use a gas boiler, just pay for an electric radiant heater in every room.
If you want cheap long term go for gas if there's a high heat demand, or go for all the heat recovery systems if you want to use electricity.
There's also the point about what is most comfortable and convenient. That might be worth paying more overall for.

Sponsored Links
A gas boiler has a lot of cost other than the fuel, the obvious one being the installation and standing charge.
And the annual servicing charge. I pay £65 per ann' just to have a gas meter, then servicing on top, say £80 giving £135 per ann' saved before you start. That buys a lot of electricity. The electrical appliances are all service free.

The figures stack up for an all electric house when it is highly insulated as space heating is rarely on. Then the no standing losses as it is all instant electric hot water. Besides the massive space saving of small water heaters and instant hot taps. Most people use electricity to heat coffee and tea anyway with dishwashers & washing machines having their hot water heated by electricity. So, most electricity consumption will be to heat hot water not space heating.

Last edited:
There's also the point about what is most comfortable and convenient. That might be worth paying more overall for.

That is so often ignored by heating "experts" and some radical architects who do not have to live in the houses they design.

I told him he will not need a full heating system
But who on earth would ever listen to anything you tell them?

The aeration does makes it appear there is a higher flow. Quite impressive.
Until you realise that air does not do very much in terms of washing you.

The boiling water taps do save over an electric kettle as no water is heated and not used, as in kettles, creating waste.
Actually, water heated and not used and wasted in kettles only happens when the kettles are filled by people who are not clever enough to know that they should only put in the amount of water they need to heat.

Oh, I see...

This 11kW instant in-line water heater delivers 6.2Ltr/min at an increase of 30°C.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/strom-se...kw/4681p#product_additional_details_container
Good luck using a manual temperature control instant water heater with a thermostatic shower mixer.

Boiling water taps costs have dropped as more makers are on the ball. Some do not do boiling water
You can ignore the nonsense of calling a tap which does not do boiling water a boiling water tap if you like. But not the fact that you can't make decent tea without boiling water.

Off topic, deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably.

I expect you find that you attract an awful lot of people who are critical of your ideas.

I wonder why that might be?

Off topic, deleted.

I see you're ignorance isn't excused by the sparks too.

Now seeing as plumbers and electricians are natural rivals :D, when we are in agreement on something that tends to be confirmation of the idea.

The idea in this case is that you're either a troll or a prat. Or both.

Off topic, deleted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back