Instant Hot Water

That unit will work well for the washbasins but you may find shower flow rate disappointingly low in the winter.
Is there a 2nd shower already on the combi- if not then pipe shower back to the boiler.
In a large place like yours the luxury setup would be a hot water cylinder and looped hot water piping (insulated of course) to drop that tap delay to a couple of seconds..

Sponsored Links
In ya dreams not called the airing cupboard for no reason.

Pennies wasted and only when no warmth input is needed in the house. In the three colder seasons, none of the heat is waste heat - what little is lost, goes into the house and cuts the heating part of the bill.

Pennies wasted and only when no warmth input is needed in the house. In the three colder seasons, none of the heat is waste heat - what little is lost, goes into the house and cuts the heating part of the bill.
Not so much the pennies as the caper of the house been heated in the summer esp gledhill units

Sponsored Links
That unit will work well for the washbasins but you may find shower flow rate disappointingly low in the winter.
Is there a 2nd shower already on the combi- if not then pipe shower back to the boiler.
In a large place like yours the luxury setup would be a hot water cylinder and looped hot water piping (insulated of course) to drop that tap delay to a couple of seconds..

Okay. This I do not understand.

There are no showers currently on the combi. There is a kitchen sink, a bathroom sink and a bath from the water side and of course radiators on the heating side.

Could you please explain whatyou mean by "pipe shower back to the boiler" or perhaps point me at some relevant reading?

Thanks

Could you please explain whatyou mean by "pipe shower back to the boiler" or perhaps point me at some relevant reading?

I think he had in mind a pumped HW circulation system. Water is pumped in a loop from boiler, close to all the taps, then back to boiler - a loop, or circle. So HW is near instantly available at every outlet, no waiting for the HW to appear. Such pipes need to be well insulated, but even then heat loss is large and then there is the cost of running the pump and boiler while ever HW might be needed. Good for large building, with long pipe runs, like care homes where HW will be often needed.

I think he had in mind a pumped HW circulation system. Water is pumped in a loop from boiler, close to all the taps, then back to boiler - a loop, or circle. So HW is near instantly available at every outlet, no waiting for the HW to appear. Such pipes need to be well insulated, but even then heat loss is large and then there is the cost of running the pump and boiler while ever HW might be needed. Good for large building, with long pipe runs, like care homes where HW will be often needed.
on a combi ???????

So I was right not to understand? Given that, as I said in my OP "The hot water in my house all comes from a large Combi boiler on the ground floor." This idea is not relevant to the situation here?

I am guessing that "our" idea of using this, for the wash hand basin on the second floor was the right one?

And then, for the later to be installed bathroom on the first floor, either an electic shower with the WHB taken from the instant water heater on the second floor, or a second, identical instant water heater in that bathroom to supply both WHB and shower seems like the optimal solution?

Just checking that I understand.

Thanks.

So I was right not to understand? Given that, as I said in my OP "The hot water in my house all comes from a large Combi boiler on the ground floor." This idea is not relevant to the situation here?

Yes, a circulated HW system is only used where HW is stored - not used with a combi type of boiler, so not relevant.

That 9Kw instant water heater will satisfy your needs, but if its just for hand washing a 3Kw unit would be adequate and would avoid the need for a large cable to be run up from the consumer unit/ adding an extra consumer unit.

either an electic shower with the WHB taken from the instant water heater on the second floor, or a second, identical instant water heater in that bathroom to supply both WHB and shower seems like the optimal solution?
Before deciding on any of those, note that the electrical supply to the building only has a certain capacity. It's very easy to exceed that with multiple high powered items like electric showers and instant hot water heaters.

I'm going to get a sparky in to do the first fix for the entire job so I'm sure that if there is a potential problem he'll point it out.

I guess if there isn't enough ... I'll have to go to three phase ... and then I 'spose I'll just "hafta" get bigger workshop machines :whistle::whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back