Insulate or not insulate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of rewiring and repiping the house, so ceiling between ground and first floor has been removed.
Would you insulate between joists or is it pointless as both floors are heated.
There's acoustic insulation all over under the flooring upstairs, so no noise problems.
Thanks for your view.

Sponsored Links
Probably no point... but I would stuff some rockwool around any waste pipes, as it will cut down some noise from when these are used, and you are sat underneath them.

Sponsored Links
I'm strategically insulating mine - more where I know the area upstairs is/will soon be unused (teenagers - here's hoping), also we have a separate heating zone for upstairs which is heated for shorter periods. These days I think every little helps.

My concern would be condensation.
I know that as the house is more or less at the same temperature all the time this is almost impossible, but...
Also, it's worked fine for the past few decades, so I've always thought if it ain't broken, don't fix it...

I pulled down all of my downstairs ceilings, rewired, replumbed and then fill with insulation. Then doubled boarded and plastered. The house is much warmer and quieter.

Do it Johnny, you won't regret it!

Andy

On a completely different thought - if the timbers have not been treated spray with a wood worm killer.

Just been is a '80's house that is having to replace the 1st floor floorboards - so riddled with 'worm it wasn't safe to tread (lightly) anywhere on the first floor.

On a completely different thought - if the timbers have not been treated spray with a wood worm killer.

Just been is a '80's house that is having to replace the 1st floor floorboards - so riddled with 'worm it wasn't safe to tread (lightly) anywhere on the first floor.
Those oak joists are 85 year old and bone dry.
I don't really fancy wetting them with anything.

I pulled down all of my downstairs ceilings, rewired, replumbed and then fill with insulation. Then doubled boarded and plastered. The house is much warmer and quieter.

Do it Johnny, you won't regret it!

Andy
I'm now in 2 minds...(n)

Did you insulate between? I'm in a similar situation and think it may be beneficial more so that the heat doesn't just rise from down stairs..

In the process of rewiring and repiping the house, so ceiling between ground and first floor has been removed.
Would you insulate between joists or is it pointless as both floors are heated.
There's acoustic insulation all over under the flooring upstairs, so no noise problems.
Thanks for your view.
Heat sapping draughts in the floor space can be prevented with well place acoustic insulation. This applies to floor joists let into leaky cavity walls.

Did you insulate between? I'm in a similar situation and think it may be beneficial more so that the heat doesn't just rise from down stairs..

Will you continue to use the upstairs as much as the downstairs in years to come? Will the warmth the upstairs gets from the downstairs be of benefit (you have an at home office there) or is the time you spend upstairs not sleeping under a nice warm duvet actually minimal? Would having the upstairs as a separate heating zone be useful?

Will you continue to use the upstairs as much as the downstairs in years to come? Will the warmth the upstairs gets from the downstairs be of benefit (you have an at home office there) or is the time you spend upstairs not sleeping under a nice warm duvet actually minimal? Would having the upstairs as a separate heating zone be useful?
Only min time upstairs, kids will play up there sometimes but mainly down stairs pestering us! I use the honeywell Evo home trvs so yes I will be zoning each room dependant on bed times, get up times etc... just trying to work out if its actually worth the effort / cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back