Insulate wood framed box bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Morning all.

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to insulate an upstairs box bay (house is circa 1910).

Double glazing has been fitted, but nothing has been done to the wall below and it is very cold and since removing a bay window seat a bit draughty as well. Construction is (was) lathe and plaster inside and then tiles over wood on the outside, there is no water ingress from the outside as far as I can tell, it's all nice and dry in there.

I won't be removing the tiles from the outside, so all work needs to be done on the inside. I've found a couple of approaches and wanted to confirm?

1. Dritherm and plasterboard over, no vapour barrier?
2. Celotex with a vapor barrier between that and the new plaster board?
3. Something else?

Photo attached.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG-2598.jpg
    IMG-2598.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Is it OK to leave a gap between the celotex and the outside facing (25mm)?

I can't really get a full thickness in there, due to the nails from the outside tiles - gap is 100mm, otherwise could I use dritherm all the way through and then a 25mm celotex board over the batons?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back