Insulated Plasterboard Adhesives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fix insulated plasterboard directly to my plastered solid brick walls. Can I use 'gripfill' or 'pinkgrip', or will the solvents in these adhesives melt the bare foam insulation on the back of the plasterboard?
Otherwise I will use standard plasterboard adhesive also known as bonding compound or drywall adhesive which is a powder to mix with water.

Sponsored Links
If you click on the link and read the spec', it does say suitable for insulation boards.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

does anyone have a current link for this product - the link is no longer working :(

Thanks
Tony

It is not the best method to fix insulated boards directly to block work, if you do use this method you can use dry-wall adheshive, but you must also use a secondary mechanical fix such as nailable plugs.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ies/gyproc_fixings/gyproc_nailable_plugs.aspx

Other than that the best method is to batten the wall out, with either timber or metal stud. and apply boards to that, you will lose the thickness of the batten in the overall area of your room though.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ypframe_channels/gyplyner_and_components.aspx

Anyone used it? If so, is it any good?
oldun

I have used it but only very small amounts.

The main difference betwixt foam and say board adhesive is that board adhesive is more versatile, in that you can point around plug sockets, fill gaps etc, and basically apply to the recipient surface as opposed to the board itself.

However, foam will stick to just about any surface.

I used the foam grip stuff fairly recently on my own extension. I didn't get on with it at all. The boards just would not stay put - the foam continues to expand and pushes the joints out of line. I had to drill and batten a couple of boards to try and hold them in place but even then it took the spread a bit of work to sort it out.

So it was back to drywall adhesive. Boring but you know what to expect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back