Insulated plasterboard around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I'm intending to put 45mm Thermaline Plus on the inside of all external walls in my refurb house. First I will be having new UPVC glazing installed throughout. But what about insulating around the inside of the window opening ? - do I have to ensure that the new glazing has at least a 50mm frame around the edges ? I'm thinking that if they dont then I can't use 50mm insulation - or is a slimmer insulation used just around the windows here instead ?.

What do you folks do here normally ?- thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is not practical to use full thickness insulation at the window and door reveals so the next best thing is to dab them with plasterboard coupled with a thin insulation board.

There may be a 12mm pur insulation board that could be used to stave off localised condensation problems. I think celotex may sell one at 12mm.

Fortunately upvc frames do not encourage the problems associated with condensation like their timber ancestors. I have not encountered problems whilst using only dabbed plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back