1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Insulated plasterboard?? Good idea or separate products?

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by anders170, 10 Jan 2019.

1. anders170

anders170

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello!! Im a female, newbie, and having a house renovated - the builders are leaving decision making to me, and its a minefield. The electrician needed the ceilings down as there was no space for new wires and it needed a full rewire. The ceilings were made of cork (very old timber framed seaside bungalow). Now all we have is the bare roof timbers. I have spent the day calculating costs of putting a timber cladding up with Rockfill boards behind it but the timber + rockwool has been more expensive than rockwool and plasterboard, so thats what Ive decided to do. Does such a thing as plasterboard with insulation attached exist and if so is it any good for a timber framed property? Is there anything else I should think about? Any advice would be very welcome! :)

2. ktuludays

ktuludays

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Insulated plasterboard does exist. Whether it would give the same level of insulation that the Rockwell gives is up to you to decide. Perhaps you need pir foam board like kingspan (others are available) between joists and then pb over the top

3. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    anders170, good evening.

There are various and numerous threads in here about the virtues and efficacy of Insulated plasterboard versus the various thermal insulation boards then the P/Board

As I recall, using thermal insulating boards [of whichever thickness you can afford???] then plasterboard, that "could be" the insulated type will assist.

Or to assist in prevention of condensation forming in the roof space?? use thermal insulating board and plasterboard with a foil back

Ken