Insulating a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone ive had a conservatory for 10 years but like a lot of people its to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter, so im planning on insulating it on the inside.
My plan is to use seletex between the perspex roof and the perspex roof supports.
then to use batterning across the roof supports and plasterboard to that.
Has anyone tried this or see any problems with this idea.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Its been done and there are solutions available that are similar. You have to consider the whole building though. There is still a lot of glass and even double glazed units still have a fairly high U value. The floor and any dwarf walls should also be considered. your poly carb roof if its double/triple layered will have a U of 1.5. High quality double glazing is about 1. Normal modern walls and floor will be under .25. There won't be any point in using anything thicker than 40-50mm celetoex as it simply won't make that much difference.

What is under the floor - is it insulated?

It depends what you want to use the conservatory for, imo.
Is it open to the rest of the house, or can it be shut off?
Do you want to use it as a regular room, or only on occasion?

Once we know this, we can advise better.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for the replies, the room is shut off from the rest of the house at present but we were hoping to open it up to the kitchen and use it as a dinning room in the winter. From what i remember the floor is insulated but i was planning on installing some underfloor heating the type that goes under laminate as opposed to breaking up the screed.
I have a large double radiator under the dwarf wall at present that i upgraded last year, it helps but if we open all the doors the warmth is pulled from the rest of the house.

Back