Insulating a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wishing to convert my garage into a store room which will store my paper documents, electronic and photographic equipment.
Consequently it needs to be heated and most importantly insulated to reduce heat loss (and electric bills)

The garage walls are constructed of single thickness house bricks with a flat, boarded and fibreglass roof on wooden joists.

To maintain the appearance from the road, I intend to retain the wooden doors and create a wall of insulating blocks just inside to prevent heat loss through the garage doors. Also I considered nailing plasterboard under the joists and pack the space above with loft insulation.

Bearing in mind the relatively small size of a single garage, I want to keep insulation thickness on the walls to a practical minimum, but really need advice on what insulation to use and whether I need to consider a vapour barrier, which I have read about, but don't understand the mechanics of.

Has anyone successfully completed a similar project who can offer me any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Hi brianivor

Yes you could Dob & Dab the walls with foam backed plaster board,then just fill the joints with joint filler,use taper edge boards because they are easier to finish off nicely

use grpframe speed line its the fastst way of doing it then fill with what ever you want then board it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back