Garage Conversion for Office | Insulation and Sequencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm trying to get my plan for the garage conversion I'm undertaking sense checked.

Current state is a detached single garage, up and over door, single skin brick walls and sloping floor (difference in level from one end to the other is about 6 inches).

When we had it reflected a year ago we had the roof insulated in readiness for this conversion so there is already a warm roof in place. Also had the single side access wooden door replaced with a 2m wide sliding patio door for access/letting on light, and a triple glazed domed roof light added to the flat roof.

Current plan is:

1. Level floor by pouring new concrete layer over existing slab after adding bonding slurry. This will come close to the DPC in the wall so will add an internal DPC strip between the wall and the new floor pour so the floor levelling doesn't bridge the existing DPC built into the walls.

2. Fill gaps and the like around garage door with expanding foam, then build studwork wall in front of old garage door (we have a side access sliding patio door to the garage already, so are happy to lose the existing garage door). Stuff gaps between timber frame and door with Rockwall. Sit studwork on strip of DPC since will be sat on the slab floor.

3. Level the concrete floor as needed with sand, add a polythene DPC over the top, then insulate with Celotex (50mm), add vapour barrier, then chipboard (22mm T and G)

4. Dot and Dab Insulated plaster board over all four walls (mechanically fixed to timber stud wall in front of garage door). 50mm insulation layer with plasterboard attached. Tape all joints.

5. Add Rockwall in the overhang gaps (where the roof joists overhand the existing wall) above the insulated plasterboard on the walls, and then use non-insulated plasterboard to board ceiling below the joists (roof is already insulated above the joists with the warm roof construction).

6. Plaster and decorate.

There is an existing air brick high up one of the walls which we'll leave open for ventilation and cover with a decorative vent.

Questions:

1. Does the approach to the door covering sound ok ?

We don't really want to take the door out and brick is up (it's part of a row of garages and would prefer the external appearance of a regular garage to be maintained).

2. Should the walls be insulated down to slab level before adding the insulated floor/floating floor...otherwise there will be a 22mm strip of wall that is not insulated all the way around where the thickness of the chipboard/gap sits at the edge.

3. Is it right to fill the roof joist gaps at the point where they sit on the wall with Rockwall? Logic is if we don't, then you have a cold section between the warm roof and start of the insulated walls below the joists, behind the fascia that sits below the flat roof.

Thanks ever so much for any thoughts/guidance. Trying desperately not to get this wrong and create some kind of future remedial nightmare.

If I need to provide any other details to allow a proper answer to the above then let me know.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I'm trying to get my plan for the garage conversion I'm undertaking sense checked.

Current state is a detached single garage, up and over door, single skin brick walls and sloping floor (difference in level from one end to the other is about 6 inches).

When we had it reflected a year ago we had the roof insulated in readiness for this conversion so there is already a warm roof in place. Also had the single side access wooden door replaced with a 2m wide sliding patio door for access/letting on light, and a triple glazed domed roof light added to the flat roof.

Current plan is:

1. Level floor by pouring new concrete layer over existing slab after adding bonding slurry. This will come close to the DPC in the wall so will add an internal DPC strip between the wall and the new floor pour so the floor levelling doesn't bridge the existing DPC built into the walls.

2. Fill gaps and the like around garage door with expanding foam, then build studwork wall in front of old garage door (we have a side access sliding patio door to the garage already, so are happy to lose the existing garage door). Stuff gaps between timber frame and door with Rockwall. Sit studwork on strip of DPC since will be sat on the slab floor.

3. Level the concrete floor as needed with sand, add a polythene DPC over the top, then insulate with Celotex (50mm), add vapour barrier, then chipboard (22mm T and G)

4. Dot and Dab Insulated plaster board over all four walls (mechanically fixed to timber stud wall in front of garage door). 50mm insulation layer with plasterboard attached. Tape all joints.

5. Add Rockwall in the overhang gaps (where the roof joists overhand the existing wall) above the insulated plasterboard on the walls, and then use non-insulated plasterboard to board ceiling below the joists (roof is already insulated above the joists with the warm roof construction).

6. Plaster and decorate.

There is an existing air brick high up one of the walls which we'll leave open for ventilation and cover with a decorative vent.

Questions:

1. Does the approach to the door covering sound ok ?

We don't really want to take the door out and brick is up (it's part of a row of garages and would prefer the external appearance of a regular garage to be maintained).

2. Should the walls be insulated down to slab level before adding the insulated floor/floating floor...otherwise there will be a 22mm strip of wall that is not insulated all the way around where the thickness of the chipboard/gap sits at the edge.

3. Is it right to fill the roof joist gaps at the point where they sit on the wall with Rockwall? Logic is if we don't, then you have a cold section between the warm roof and start of the insulated walls below the joists, behind the fascia that sits below the flat roof.

Thanks ever so much for any thoughts/guidance. Trying desperately not to get this wrong and create some kind of future remedial nightmare.

If I need to provide any other details to allow a proper answer to the above then let me know.
Try and do all the bulky work before blocking off the garage door. I'd bury the floor insulation early on to (conveniently) get rid of it, then screed the floor to match existing. Your insulation spec's sound lean, if this is to pass latest Part L reg's.

There's no plan to make it 'habitable'...just use as an office and occasional outdoor lounge, so my understanding is building regs don't apply in that basis since no sleeping accommodation.

Given the single skin brick, is it ok to dot and Dab the insulation or does it need battening? And risk of condensation in the roof cavity where the warm roof doesn't cover the spots behind the fascia where the eaves sit on the brick walls?

Thanks for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back