No DPM! Another Garage thread :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The previous owner of my house extended the garage so it was 8ft longer. All single skin and attached to the house.
He also converted the garage into a room with a shower room at the back.

I have just ripped the lot out mold included :(

My plan is to keep the front original section as a garage which i will keep my car in.

Firstly can i insulate the walls and roof of the garage with foil backed insulation in direct contact with the walls and roof? I want to insulate as there is a radiator in the garage and the car is being restored so nice conditions for it ;)

Secondly!! The concrete floor in the extended part has no DPM. I have dug a section up and its not there. Although the wall does have DPC. The DPC is just above floor level.

This section i plan to convert into a room/ space for a multi gym. It has an external door so i can partition it off from the garage. I plan to raise the door by 2 courses so that it is level with the back door of the house. I also plan to fit a radiator in this section using the pipework from the radiator in the garage. This section is 8"x8"

Do i raise the floor with concrete using DPM? Taking the floor 2 courses above DPC? Or

Do i raise the floor with concrete using DPM But shutter it so there is a space between the floor and wall then fit a couple of air bricks to ventilate the gap? Or

Raise the floor with 5x2 or 6x2 timber with air bricks to ventilate under the floor? The joists would obviously not be touching the old concrete floor.

I hope that all makes sense and that somebody can give me some advice :)

Thanks in advance Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back