Insulating a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking to insulate the garage and make it into a bedroom for a rental property. Does anyone know if it is best to build a timber frame and fill with Celotex or equivalent or use insulated plasterboard? Insulated plasterboard would seem simpler and probably work out cheaper so I'm wondering why builders I have had round have suggested stud work and insulate rather than just fix insulated plasterboard to the walls. Any input very welcome, thanks

Sponsored Links
Needs building regs.

Insulated plasterboard wont provide enough insulation......itll need celetex board, cant remember thickness, prob 80mm or 100mm

I'm wondering why builders I have had round have suggested stud work and insulate rather than just fix insulated plasterboard to the walls. Any input very welcome, thanks
It depends upon the spec' of the garage walls. There are lots of variables i.e. single skin, 225mm masonry, cavity masonry, insulated cavity masonry etc. You haven't said whether this is a stand alone garage, integral or partial integral either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall. It is an integrated garage, below an existing bedroom. There are cavity masonry walls ( but not insulated cavity). The current floor is solid concrete, could I build s timber frame in the floor and insulate that or would I need to screed it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back