Insulating A Metal Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a metal shed/workshop measuring 6m x 6m and 2.85m to eaves.

I was thinking of insulating the walls between the uprights with 100mm rockwall and then facing off with 10mm ply. Dont want to use plasterboard as being a workshop it will only be a matter of time before something heavy is leant against a wall!!!!! - then I will cry. :cry:

Should I fix a vapour barrier between the metal and the rockwall?

Also thinking of similar with roof or using ridgid board

Or is there a better way of doing the job

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
metal sheds are very prone to condensation

so yes a vapour barrier

and preferably also an airspace with ventilation to the outside

the floor will also get cold, and damp will rise through it into the shed unles you have a dpm

If you use rigid boards they are more expensive, but better insulators per thickness, and could support your ply lining without needing an extra timber subframe

you can seal gaps or joins in the insulation with expanding foam, but it sticks and marks, so protect surfaces with clingfilm (it really works)

JohnD, many thanks for the quick reply.

Where should the airspace be. Should it be between the metal wall and the vapour barrier or between the insulation and the vapour barrier?

The floor has 1200 guage DPM

Ridgid boards seem the way to go

Thanks for the cling film tip

Sponsored Links
it's to ventilate the metal wall inside

vapour barrier should be on the warm side of the insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back