Insulating a Shed - advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All,

I am buying this:

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-4000L-Kent-Tongue-and-Groove-Garden-Shed

Or something very similar to it.

At the moment there is a concrete base at the bottom of the garden (previous owner had a shed and green house down there) which is 11ft x 6ft. I intend to dig out a bit to make it wider and create a base using cinder blocks seeing as I have loads.

To insulate the shed I was going to run extra battons on the inside and put in something like celotex. What should I cover this with - wood (OSB?) or plasterboard? I don't intend to have it plastered inside, just a few coats of paint. What about the roof - I was going to run battons again and clad it internally with either wood or plasterboard depending on advice.

I have a load of attic insulation (I have about 10 spare rolls) could I use this instead of celotex?

What about the floor? What options do I have here?

Also I was thinking of going to a local window supply store and getting some double-glazed windows (which can be opened). Is this doable?

Basically I am looking to create an office as I have no space in the house. I looked at getting a log cabin but I would still have to insulate so I figured a cheap shed and adding the insulation costs would be cheaper. My brother in law is an electrician and has agreed to run the electrics down to the shed once it's installed.

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I've just started going down this route a bit - see my thread in General DIY. There's a brilliant post in there from someone else who has done it.

I would avoid a shed like that and go for log cabin. The timber in the walls will be much thicker and thus more likely to keep out the weather.

Plasterboard is cheap very acustically dead, so good for soundproofing, but needs to be kept totally dry. OSB looks a mess but is cheap, ply most costly but smooth finished.

I would also consider a membraine, proberbly between the shed/cladding and the insulation. For damp and draft proofing.

Daniel

I've just started going down this route a bit - see my thread in General DIY. There's a brilliant post in there from someone else who has done it.

I would avoid a shed like that and go for log cabin. The timber in the walls will be much thicker and thus more likely to keep out the weather.

Thanks for the response but I only have about £1000 for the whole lot (that's getting electrics done for free) so a log cabin is not in my budget. Hence my plan to buy a cheaper shed and over engineer it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back