Insulating a sloped bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
Germany
We are renovating our bathroom and need to insulate the ceiling. As you can see from the pictures the bathroom is in the sloped part of the ceiling.

20230311_141436.jpgsignal-2023-03-13-162359-1.jpegsignal-2023-03-13-162359-2.jpegsignal-2023-03-13-162359-3.jpegsignal-2023-03-13-162359-4.jpegsignal-2023-03-13-162359.jpeg

We have gutted the bathroom and removed the ceiling. There is/was glass mineral wool insulation with foil.

Can we replace this with the same (glass wool), or should we place PIR between the rafters?

Sponsored Links
PIR is more difficult to fit but has better insulating qualities.

Blup

Sorry, this isn't exactly what you were asking (and you're probably aware already!) but, particularly as it's a bathroom below, just check that the rafters aren't in danger of getting damp due to the insulation causing condensation to form around the rafters. If you've not thought of it: you could protect the rafters with a really securely sealed vapour membrane, which would go under the rafters and insulation and above the plasterboard (watch the screws) and a really good fan / nearby dehumidifier would be protective too. Apologies if I'm pointing out something you're well aware of.

The benefit of board over fiberglass is that boards are thinner than fiberglass for the same amount of insulation/ same u-value. So you'd need a much thicker slab of fiberglass to insulate as well as a board - I'm really inarticulate today, hope that made sense! If space isn't an issue, fiberglass is cheaper. Fiberglass is pretty unpleasant to handle (you'd probably want a mask, definitely want gloves, and you'd want a shower after touching the stuff) whereas board is nice to handle, in my opinion because you don't need gloves or to shower to get rid of the horrid little bits of glass. You also have the (more expensive but much more convenient) option of insulated plasterboard where the plasterboard is already attached to the board insulation. Might be useful as you're going to be working over your head?

Sponsored Links
PIR is more difficult to fit but has better insulating qualities.

Blup
Thanks, I'll also check that out.

Sorry, this isn't exactly what you were asking (and you're probably aware already!) but, particularly as it's a bathroom below, just check that the rafters aren't in danger of getting damp due to the insulation causing condensation to form around the rafters. If you've not thought of it: you could protect the rafters with a really securely sealed vapour membrane, which would go under the rafters and insulation and above the plasterboard (watch the screws) and a really good fan / nearby dehumidifier would be protective too. Apologies if I'm pointing out something you're well aware of.

The benefit of board over fiberglass is that boards are thinner than fiberglass for the same amount of insulation/ same u-value. So you'd need a much thicker slab of fiberglass to insulate as well as a board - I'm really inarticulate today, hope that made sense! If space isn't an issue, fiberglass is cheaper. Fiberglass is pretty unpleasant to handle (you'd probably want a mask, definitely want gloves, and you'd want a shower after touching the stuff) whereas board is nice to handle, in my opinion because you don't need gloves or to shower to get rid of the horrid little bits of glass. You also have the (more expensive but much more convenient) option of insulated plasterboard where the plasterboard is already attached to the board insulation. Might be useful as you're going to be working over your head?

An extraction fan is in the plan. There is also a velux window that should help with moisture if we open it after using the bathroom.

I'll measure the space between the tiles and rafter, and also the depth of the rafter to see if fiberglass fits. Insulated plasterboard is also an interesting idea, I'll have to do some research. I know you can also get plasterboard with a built in vapor membrane. Could this be an option instead of using a seperate vapour membrane under the insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back