Insulating A Solid Floor In 1930s House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating my 1930s ex council house and the kitchen floor is a tiled solid floor. It's in good condition and doesn't appear to have any damp related problems.

My thoughts are however that it's best to put some form of DPM down now whilst the whole house is getting done.

What's the best way forward here please? I was just going to lay a membrane over the floor and tank the walls up to a height of 1m or so but then if I want to tile over that I'm guessing I'll need a screed laid down of a reasonable thickness....so I'll need to tear up the old floor to avoid any height differences...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Do you mean "insulate" or "seal"

If it is the old clay tiles there may be damp issues but not visible as any damp coming through evaporates.

To insulate without creating a step you need to take out the floor.

At the moment I do just mean seal.....

I'm concerned that once I start pulling the floor up I might undermine my own house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back