Insulating a suspended concrete floor - spray foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garden room built on top of an old half-cellar (underground one side only due to slope). The floor is a concrete slab built on a steel girder framework inside the cellar and it is sucking all the heat out - leave the heating off overnight and it's down to single figures by morning.

A previous owner had studded under the floor and filled with glass-fibre but it had all gone wet and mouldy so we removed it. I was thinking about using PIR boards affixed under the concrete but was wondering if this might be a better place for spray-foam insulation. Seal in all the concrete and exposed metal, no gaps, no faffing installing the boards.

Is this technique used much in the UK - is it likely to be easy to find someone (not something I want to try DIY)? I know it's got mixed opinions for use in roofs or other places that need to be weatherproof.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back