Suspended timber floor in cellar or concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

My cellar had broken bricks on the floor. I have removed these and just want a useable floor to use the space for storage etc.

im think of 3 different options.

a new suspended timber floor using treated timber with either treated chipboard or wbp ply floor covering. i would put a dpc on the back of the wall plates screwed to the walls, and maybe a dmp under the timber.

or laying concrete paving

or a concrete slab.
if i go for a concrete slab then id be thinking of something like 100mm compacted hardcore, sand blinding, dpm, 100mm concrete. or is this over the top?

a timber floor is cheapest and probably easiest and quickest to do however im not 100% if its a good idea in a cellar.

Sponsored Links
its just being used for basic storage, nothing else, not intended to be a living area.

i was sort of thinking of the slab as the last optoin.
due to it being a cellar, the access is poor. to do a slab of around 19m2 with the amount of hardcore needed to be taken down into the cellar, and the amount of concrete needed as either a ready mix or mixed with a mixer is a lot.
some bricks could be removed at the front of the property where the old coal shoot used to be and then bricked back up when done but again this is more messing about. this would allow better access for the hardcore and for concrete, but if using a ready mix then a shoot would have to be made to pour it into etc.

a timber floor seems to be the easiest and probably cheapest. it would be treated timber and all installed correctly, however its just the aspect of it being timber that im not totally sure about.

to go for the cheapest and easiest option i think its got to be the timber. any thoughts?

You could put a plastic sheet down then get a load of old pallets and put the chip board on top.

Sponsored Links
im going to do a bit of a better job than pallets however thanks for the suggestion.

id like to use a suspended timber floor using treated timber i think and im looking for opinions regarding this setup.

I would think your timber floor would be fine if its suspended above the existing. However, I would forget the chipboard and use WBP plywood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back