Insulating an Existing Internal Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hoping I could get some advice on a project I'm thinking of taking on at home.

I live in a 1960s house and the internal walls are all stud walls with nothing "in them". What I'd like to do is strip the plasterboard off, put in some form of insulation, I'm thinking of Lambswool, kingspan or rock wool. Then I'd stick on new plasterboard, plaster and redecorate.

Just wondered if people who knew more than me could of advice on:

1 Is this doable?
2 Is the above process I've described roughly right?
3 Are the "fillings" I've suggested OK for the job and are any better than the others?
4 Is it worth it? (I think so for heat and noise insulation)

Many thanks for your help.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Better Heat insulation and some acoustic deadening?

Also considered using acoustic plasterboard when restoring the walls.

For sound insulation which you should do - it improves the quality of life, use a fibre material and stuff the cavity really tight. I would use glass fibre, wool is expensive and its only claim to fame is in humidity regulation which you should not need. The problem is to keep all the floppy GF in place before you close up the wall. I use the hard plastic banding that is used on pallets which are wrapped in plastic, held on with drawing pins.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Better Heat insulation and some acoustic deadening?

Also considered using acoustic plasterboard when restoring the walls.

For acoustics, use something heavy such as wood fibre batts.
Thermal benefits are minor unless you have some parts of your house that are massively colder than others.

Thanks for the replies all. Much appreciated.

Might try stuffing with glass fibre. The whole house has these type of walls so, if it works in my living room, might be an ongoing project.

I have used the Rockwall sound slab, it's glass fibre, firm and really easy to fit you can cut it with a bread knife I have used it in 2 ceilings and one sound proofed wall and would use it again. I got mine trade from Magnet and it was about £20 a pack.

Glass fibre was replaced years ago with Rockwool; which is actually made from lava being melted down and spun out into fibres. Great dor sound insulation as well as insulation, and you don't end up getting scratched to death. The slabs will hold themselves up in the stud wall, but if you've got problems with it, as there's no moisture issues, you can use plastic and a stapler to hold it in place. Kingspan has good thermal properties, but not sound deadening; lambswool should be similar to Rockwool, but will cost more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back