Insulating external stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large timber framed dormer. It is made of standard 4"x2" studwork and rendered onto lath (which is a bit the worse for wear - but that's another job).

Anyway, I'd like to get some insulation in as the internal plaster is off at the moment. So what is the best thing to use. I was planning to stuff it with rock wool and put some 50mm insulation backed plasterboard on ths inside.
But then I started reading about VCLs and aslso started wondering whether it wanted to be filled with 100mm celotex, not rock wool.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Chris

Sponsored Links
VCLs get important in modern houses with draught-sealed spaces- any condensation will stick around. Older houses with draughty roofs don't have the same issues.

Strictly speaking, since you're upgrading/renewing a significant percentage of a thermal element in a room your job is notifiable and building regs apply, especially required insulation values. The target for walls can usually be met with 75mm Celotex/equivalent or 150mm polystyrene or rockwool or earthwool. If you have the depth available, rockwool is a lot easier and cheaper than the solid stuff. Have a read here for what's meant to happen http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_L1B_2015.pdf page 25 onwards is the fun stuff.

100mm Celotex in the frame (no air gaps) and 25mm minimum across the face before plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks fellas.

Having had a poke around it seems that condensation from within is the least of my worries. Roll on Spring I think I'll be having a fair bit of rotten wood and leaky render replaced...

For the time being I'm going to use 100mm celotex in the gaps as I have some arriving tomorrow which I was going to use elsewhere. That and some insulated plasterboard should more than meet building regs U-values.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back