How do you insulate a tile-hung house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a largish mid-1920's house in Surrey. The upper storey is tile-hung. What is the collective's preferred method of insulating this? Can I use something under the tiles - such as a lambswool or mineral wool filler - or should I use an internal insulation such as new studding/plasterboard on the inside wall and fill that with insulation instead? :confused:

Sponsored Links
both are expensive if you have no cavity walls (if you do, it can be injected from the outside if you don't want to disturb the tiles).

If you wait until the tiles need work, you can strip them off, add rigid insulation and retile over the top. it will make the tiles stick out further but this may not be noticable. You can put a substantial strip of timber behind the bottom tile to stop anyone looking up the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back