Insulating behind hung tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

Our house upstairs is at parts, of a timber frame construction. On the front we have hung tiles and at the rear bricks, I imagine single skin.

I started to cut the plasterboard out to stick some sockets in (behind the hung tiles) and have realised the lack of insulation on the exterior walls, below the windows. As the radiators are on these exterior walls, global warning (for the uncynical amongst us) is probably down to me.

So in a start a job, find another 2 jobs along the way style, I now feel the need to insulate this area.
I will have to remove rads, remove plasterboard, and insulate behind.

The depth of the void is approx 100mm.

My first thought was to install 100mm Celotex, and where my drylining boxes are going, making a jigsaw puzzle slotting some 50mm celotex in.
I've read a lot about ventilation, and damp etc and was fearful that by putting 100mm in, there would be no air gap.

Can anyone advise please?
Thanks kindly,
Chris

View media item 50716

Sponsored Links
You could put 50mm celotex/kingspan between the studwork and then a vapour barrier stapled over studwork then insulated plaster board.

Catlad, thanks for your reply.

This sounds good. I've been researching into the insulated plasterboard but its really thick isnt it?
If so this would lift off the wall, and cutting in the dryliner boxes would be a bit tricky?

Sponsored Links
35mm is the thinnest insulated plaster board I have seen, if you locate your radiator brackets to the studwork or put an extra stud in when you have everything stripped back to fix the radiator to you will not have any problems hanging it.

No that should work.

I'll use 60mm GA4000 between studwork then 24.5mm pl4000. There's some play on the radiator pipework so shouldn't be any trouble.

Thanks all for your help!

Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back